Tuesday, February 24, 2004

"We should also conduct this difficult debate in a matter worthy of our country, without bitterness or anger.

In all that lies ahead, let us match strong convictions with kindness and good will and decency."
--President Bush, in today's address announcing his support for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

I really want to agree with Bush's sentinment in the above quote, however strongly I disagree with the sentiments of the rest of his speech...in the words of King, in our thirst for freedom we must not drink from the cup of bitterness and hatred. Our creative protest must not degenerate into physical violence.
But I AM angry. I am furious. How can I have compassion for those who disagree with me on this point? How can I have compassion for those who pursue acts of bigotry and the denial of civil rights? How can I have compassion for my President? I am at a loss. If you have any ideas, please let me know.