Tuesday, November 27, 2001

So on my way home from Kinko's I see a bright yellow sign posted on a lampost. I thought it said this:


WARNING: THIS IS A HAT-FREE COMMUNITY


My first reaction is to look quickly around, and to try to remember if I am wearing a head. Once I recall that I have a bandana on my head, I begin internal debate on whether my bandana would be judged as a hat until I come upon the central question:
HAT-FREE COMMUNITY? WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?

I re-read the sign:

WARNING: THIS IS A HATE-FREE COMMUNITY



"Oh, of course," I say, "silly me." As I put aside my bandana-hat debate I come upon the question:
HATE-FREE COMMUNITY? WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?
By this time my feet have already carried me past the lampost, leaving me to wonder about the new Hate-cleansing campaign on Thayer, and whether I will be vulnerable to it wearing a bandana.