Monday, October 18, 2004

Today I began venturing onto the vast landscape of the Zulu language.
I was hooked on hello.
Hello, in Zulu, is sawubona.
My textbook Funda IsiZulu! Learn Zulu! An Introduction to Zulu translates sawubona as "I see you."
I see you.
Intimate, direct, intense, grounded, playful.
Sawubona. I imagine mafiosos approaching each other armed to the teeth, lovers with eyes locked, a father playing peek-a-boo with his newborn.
The vaguest dreams of South Africa are beginning to take shape along the horizon. Sawubona, South Africa.

1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ariwhosees,

Trying to bring contact improv to the community, we had a mob hug on the central green. From all directions we ran up to each other, hugging and stopping to see. We opened to everyone with this Zulu greeting, "I see you." We responded, "I am being seen."
Yes, I see you.

With loving gentle eyes heart being,
Shulamit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home