Thursday, December 13, 2001

So closes day 5 of my marathon lovemaking session with chemistry, and I am happy to note that chemistry this past week has finally begun to aquire the degree of conceptual intensity and philisophical weight that I had expected at the outset and searched for all along the way. I am typing from my new bedside office, perched on my lofted bed, my head just a few inches from the cieling, my head wobbling rather unsteadily and threatening to fall face-first into the keys of my recently purchased laptop, the centerpiece of the bedside office. I now don't actually need to get out of my bed some six feet above the floor, to use phone, IM, or email, to play music, to write papers or, most importantly, to post. A fridge will make its way up here at some point. I'm not sure where all this is going. I have way too much space as it is in this room, my absentee roomate sleeping always at his girlfriend's house and I with a huge converted lounge all to myself. Yet somehow I keep seeming to invent methods to conserve space that I don't need. Further, I am way to energized most of the day to stay on or in my bed for any extended period of time, so I'm not sure what the idea is with this bedside office.....
And now for something completely different. My friend Ian Gray (to be distinguished from Ian Budish, my absentee roomate) is in the midst of a week long fast he has undertaken as his final project for Scandanavian Literature class, modeling his endeavor on that of a Scandanavian writer who found starvation critical to the writing process. He has consumed nothing but water and juice since Saturday. I wish him well. My bed is now threatening to swallow me up, irrevesibly, and in defiance of all state functions.